Before we give in to the temptation to skip dinner, it's worth reminding ourselves that no matter what, it's one of the most important meals of the day, and skipping it will likely end up driving to the kitchen under the cover of night.
When should I have dinner at the latest?
You must properly eat the food in advance, so that the body has enough time to process it. In general, dinner should be consumed 2-3 hours before bedtime. Avoid eating immediately before bedtime, as a full stomach can make digestion difficult, causing heartburn, heaviness in the stomach, or rumbling. In addition, eating late at night can make it harder to sleep, which in turn leads to sleepless nights.
Once you've determined that dinner isn't a bad idea, the next step is to make sure that what's on the plate meets our standards.
What should I avoid for dinner?
The list of things we shouldn't eat for dinner includes:
- Fast food and highly processed foods these standards are absolutely inconsistent. They often contain large amounts of trans fats and salts, and there are as many valuable nutrients, such as protein, there as a cat cried. Kebabs, burgers and ready meals for the microwave should be discarded.
- Sweetened beverages. Carbonated drinks, sweetened juices, fruit drinks-from the holiday as much as possible, but not to dinner! Water with lemon juice, and everything will be fine.
- We also have a margin of appreciation for large portions. We don't eat forcibly, hastily. It is worth consuming slowly – the brain should receive a signal that we are full!
- Heavy meals - the type of large portions of meat, heavy foods rich in fats, can negatively affect our sleep and cause a feeling of heaviness. Take chicken, turkey, fish, and high-protein tofu.
What can I eat for dinner?
Back to basics: squirrel it is essential in the diet, especially for people who lead an active lifestyle. Meat, poultry, fish, tofu, eggs, and plant-based protein sources are good sources. Protein helps build muscle, maintain satiety, and support the body's regenerative processes.
On the plate, too, should not be missing vegetables - they are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Caloric content is quite modest.
Complex carbohydrates you're free to include it in your dinner, and that's for at least three reasons:
- Long-term energy. Complex carbohydrates are essential for providing a long-term source of energy, which is especially important during dinner. This ensures that we don't go hungry at night, and we have enough energy to keep our bodies functioning normally.
- Support your efforts. Carbohydrates in our dinner are especially important if we are physically active and plan to exercise in the evening. They help in effective training and muscle recovery, as they are the main source of energy for the muscles.
- Healthy intestines. Complex carbohydrates are also good for the gut because they provide food for good gut bacteria, which helps maintain a healthy gut microbiota.
However, keep in mind moderation and match your carb intake with your physical activity and calorie level. Limiting carb intake in the evening may be beneficial for some people, especially if their goal is to lose weight.
3 recipes for matching dinners
Now that we know what to eat and what to avoid, it's time to stop there. Here are 3 straw dinner suggestions that should be delicious without ruining your efforts to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Salad with fried chicken and vegetables
This is an option for those lucky enough to have a griddle pan or electric grill (let's be honest, we're unlikely to light a charcoal grill to eel a single serving of chicken).
We need to:
* Chicken fillet (small breast)
* Cherry tomatoes
* Iceberg lettuce or arugula (due to the fact that arugula has quite specific taste qualities, we can also use Rapunzel-this may be a slightly safer option)
* Olive oil
* Lemon juice (for a more refined taste-lime)
* Salt and pepper to taste
How do I prepare it?
1. We roast chicken.
2. As soon as the risk of burning your fingers has passed, we cut the chicken into strips.
3. Avocado and tomatoes cut - avocado strips, and tomatoes just in half, should not be
it's too complicated.
4. On a plate / in a shallow bowl, put a salad or whatever greens we have.
5. Put the chicken, avocado and tomatoes on the lettuce leaves.
6. Drizzle the whole thing with olive oil and a little lemon juice.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
Broccoli Cream Soup
A slightly easier option, but it requires more time, ingredients, and commitment. Before you start, make sure you have all the ingredients. And a blender!
* 1 large broccoli, washed and divided into florets
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
* 2 garlic cloves, chopped
* 500 ml vegetable broth
* 250 ml coconut milk
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* Salt and pepper to taste
How do I prepare it?
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil, add the onion and garlic, and fry several times over medium heat
5 minutes, until the onion is soft and glassy.
2. Add the potatoes and broccoli and cook for a few minutes.
3. Pour the vegetable stock over the vegetables and cook over low heat until the broccoli and potatoes are tender.
4. Mix the soup with a blender until smooth and creamy.
5. Pour in the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Cook for a few more minutes, until the soup boils.
Pasta with pesto and tomatoes
Simple, fast, delicious and healthy. You will need pesto, the purchase will be as good as possible, if we pay attention to the composition.
* Whole grain pasta
* Pesto (you can use ready-made or make your own with basil, nuts, garlic, olive oil, etc.)
* Fresh tomatoes, cut in half
* Chopped nuts (for example, pine nuts, or a more budget option – hazelnuts or Italian. No nuts will be fine too)
How do I prepare it?
1. Prepare the wholegrain pasta according to the instructions on the package.
2. Prepare the pesto sauce, if you use a ready-made one, you will skip this step.
3.In a large skillet, lightly heat the tomatoes.
4. After the pasta is cooked, drain the water and drop it into a bowl.
5. Add the pesto sauce and tomatoes to the pasta and toss to combine.
6. Sprinkle the noodles with chopped nuts.
Lighter dinners will allow us to avoid feeling heavy and having trouble sleeping. A properly balanced and healthy dinner meal will help us maintain good physical and mental health. Keep in mind that individual nutritional needs vary, so it's helpful to tailor your dinner to your lifestyle, physical activity, and taste preferences. For the rule, it should be noted again – skipping dinner is not only a very average idea, but also a blow to the metabolism.
Why is skipping meals a bad idea?
Skipping meals is a direct route to a caloric deficit-we don't provide the body with enough energy, which can take our mood, concentration, and productivity to ground zero. Regular nutrition allows you to maintain normal glycemia. What does it mean?
Eating regularly helps maintain blood sugar balance, preventing sudden spikes in glucose and hunger. At this point, it is possible that a strong attack of hunger will develop into an evening drink of everything that we find in the lockers.
Proper nutrition promotes our metabolism and digestion, which allows the body to make better use of nutrients.
However, it is worth noting that the amount of food consumed can be an individual problem, and there is no one perfect solution for everyone. Some people prefer 3 large meals a day, while others, in turn, prefer 5 small meals. It is essential that these meals are balanced, rich in a variety of nutrients, and tailored to your needs.