The global market for weight loss supplements has grown from $ 34.5 billion in 2022 to almost $ 40 billion in 2023. In this matter, humanity cannot be denied self-denial.
But you can accept that the specifics that cause significant weight loss they are dangerous, illegal, or under close surveillance. Often immediately.
We can dress it in the means that are designed for support our efforts on the way to the desired silhouette. Some of them most of us have in the kitchen. For example turmericwhich we'll take a closer look at today.
Discover turmeric: its composition and properties
Turmeric, also known as the "golden spice", has been prized in traditional Asian medicine for centuries, especially in India. Its bright yellow color and distinctive taste make it not only an important culinary ingredient, but also a valuable medicinal product. But what exactly makes turmeric so special?
What is turmeric?
Turmeric is the crushed, dried tuber of a long oyster. Oyster has been used in folk medicine because of its wide application-anti-inflammatory, antitumor, antidiabetic and many others. What we are interested in about turmeric curcumin.
What does turmeric contain?
Turmeric's main active ingredient is curcumin, which is responsible for its distinctive yellow color and many health benefits. Curcumin is a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals in the body. It also has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, making it an effective treatment for many chronic diseases.
In addition to curcumin, turmeric also contains many other biologically active compounds, including various terpenes, sterols, flavonoids, and polysaccharides. All of these ingredients work synergistically to enhance the health benefits of turmeric.
Curcumin Bioavailability Issues
The main disadvantage of curcumin is its low bioavailability due to poor absorption, rapid metabolism, and rapid elimination from the body. The bioavailability of curcumin can be increased, for example, by combining it with the piperine found in pepper.
Is curcumin well absorbed?
Curcumin itself is poorly absorbed by the body, so it is often recommended to combine it with piperine (a component of black pepper), which significantly increases its bioavailability.
What do the facts and studies say about the positive effects of turmeric on humans? An aspect of BMI, body mass, or waist circumference.
In 2019, a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials was conducted to assess the effect of curcumin intake on body weight among patients with metabolic syndrome and related disorders.
It was found that curcumin intake among these individuals was correlated with lower BMI, body weight, waist circumference, leptin levels, and increased adiponectin levels.
In 2023, another general review and updated meta-analysis of randomized trials (RCTs) was conducted to assess the effects of curcumin supplementation on body composition-related measures.
Saving the scientific chatter, the conclusions were that curcumin supplementation reduces anthropometric parameters and the best effect is given by drugs with increased bioavailability.
How does curcumin affect weight loss?
There are several possibilities:
- First of all, curcumin causes the burning of fatty acids and the death of fat cells. This means that it can speed up the process of fat oxidation, which leads to a reduction in body fat.
- Secondly, curcumin increases adiponectin levels, a hormone responsible for regulating glucose metabolism and breaking down fatty acids. Higher adiponectin levels are usually associated with better insulin sensitivity and metabolic health.
- Third, curcumin reduces leptin levels, a hormone that regulates appetite and energy balance. Lower levels of leptin can help reduce cravings and improve weight management.
- Besides,, curcumin increases the body's energy expenditure by increasing metabolic activity in both types of adipose tissue.
Exactly how curcumin causes weight loss has not yet been established.
How to use turmeric in your daily diet?
Turmeric, due to its many health benefits, is a great addition to your daily diet. Its versatility allows it to be incorporated into many dishes and drinks, and its delicate, spicy taste adds depth to many dishes. Here are some ways you can include turmeric in your daily menu::
- Zloty drink: The most popular way to consume turmeric is to make "golden milk"or" golden drink". Just mix a teaspoon of turmeric with warm milk (can be vegetable), add a little black pepper (for better curcumin absorption), honey or maple syrup for sweetness, and a pinch of cinnamon for flavor.
- Side dish for dishes: Turmeric goes well with many dishes. It can be added to soups, stews, rice dishes, or even omelets. Its delicate taste will enrich any dish.
- Smoothies and juices: Add a teaspoon of turmeric to your favorite smoothie or juice. Turmeric goes well with fruits like mango, banana or pineapple.
- Salad dressing: You can make a salad dressing by mixing turmeric with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and other favorite spices.
- Turmeric in capsule form: For those who don't like the taste of turmeric, supplements in capsule form are also available. They make it easy and convenient to consume the right dose of curcumin every day.
- Turmeric as a paste: You can make a turmeric paste by mixing it with water, black pepper, and coconut oil. This pasta is an excellent addition to dishes or as a base for making drinks.
Don't forget to always combine turmeric with black pepper, which contains piperine. Piperine significantly increases the bioavailability of curcumin, which means that the body can better utilize its health benefits.
Do not forget about moderation. Although turmeric is generally safe, too much of it can cause stomach discomfort. Therefore, it is recommended to follow the recommended doses and gradually introduce turmeric into your diet.
How much turmeric per day for weight loss?
Most studies show that taking 500-2000 milligrams of turmeric a day is enough to see the potential benefits. There are no official recommendations for the dosage of turmeric and curcumin.
When to drink turmeric for weight loss?
Turmeric water is best drunk with a meal, so have breakfast accompanied by a golden drink. It has a nice warm taste, like coffee or tea. Remember that the daily dose of turmeric for adults is 1.5 g (about 1 teaspoon) and should not exceed it, so as not to irritate the mucous membrane of the digestive system.
Diet Pills: Can Turmeric be an alternative?
The modern market for dietary supplements is full of all kinds of weight loss pills that promise a fast and effective effect. Among them are the best, average and worst. If we achieve supplements, fine, but let's pick the good ones weight loss pills. In this context, it is also worth considering whether natural ingredients such as turmeric can be a healthier and more effective alternative to traditional weight loss pills.
- Active ingredients vs. synthetic ingredients: Many weight loss pills contain synthetic ingredients that can cause side effects. Turmeric is a natural ingredient that is relatively safe for most people and has many health benefits confirmed by research.
- Mechanism of action: While many weight loss pills work by suppressing your appetite or speeding up your metabolism, turmeric works in several ways to support healthy weight loss. As mentioned earlier, turmeric can support fat burning, regulate appetite-related hormones, and improve metabolic health.
- Safety and side effects: Although turmeric is generally considered safe, it is always a good idea to consult your doctor before starting any supplements, especially if you are taking other medications. Unlike many weight loss pills, turmeric has few potential side effects.
- Cost: Weight loss pills can be expensive, especially if you take them for a long period of time. Turmeric, as a condiment, is relatively cheap and easily available in most grocery stores.
- Scientific support: Many studies confirm the potential health benefits of turmeric, including its potential benefits for weight loss. In contrast, many weight loss pills do not have strong scientific evidence to support their effectiveness.
In conclusion, while turmeric itself is not a "magic pill" for weight loss, consuming it regularly as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle can bring many health benefits, including support in the weight loss process. Compared to many commercially available weight loss pills, turmeric may be a more natural and safer alternative.
Summary and recommendations
In conclusion, the evidence points to curcumin. Drinking a drink made with curcumin, pepper, and lemon juice may not give you an exquisite taste experience, but it will certainly have a positive effect on our metabolism.
While further research is needed to better understand the mechanisms of curcumin's effects on weight loss, current evidence suggests that curcumin may be useful for weight management and improving metabolic health.
- Akbari, M., Lankarani, K. B., Tabrizi, R., Peymani, P., Ferns, G., Ghaderi, A., & Asemi, Z. (2019). The Effects of Curcumin on Weight Loss Among Patients With Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Frontiers in Pharmacology, 10. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2019.00649
- Unhapipatpong, C., Polruang, N., Shantavasinkul, P. C., Julanon, N., Numthavaj, P., & Thakkinstian, A. (2023). The effect of curcumin supplementation on weight loss and anthropometric indices: An umbrella review and updated meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 117(5), 1005-1016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajcnut.2023.03.006
- Weight Loss Supplements Global Market Report 2023 – By Type (Liquid, Powder, Softgels, Pills, Other Types), By Ingredents (Vitamins and Minerals, Amino Acids, Natural Extracts/Botanicals), By Distribution (Offline Channel, Online Channel), By End User (Under 18 years, 18 to 40 years, 40 to 50 years, Above 50 years) – Market Size, Trends, And Global Forecast 2023-2032; https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/report/weight-loss-supplements-global-market-report